Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Buses in Buenos Aires

Pic 1 mural in metro station just outside the centre. Pic 2 bus station entrance

Bus station Buenos Aires. Prima keyboard this time but couldn't work out how to make the @. "Puede ayudarme?" to the nice man who came to the computer next to me at just the right moment revealed that you have to do alt64 here to make an @. Tja, moet je ook net weten. Maar goed, ik heb nu een ticket naar Rio Gallegos via Comodore Rivadavia - vertrek om 7.15 vanavond. Dat is 22.15 NL time. Ah no photo's to send this time and can't actually see how that would work on this computer. Don't see a usb hole anywhere... Anyway flight was fine. I{d forgotten that I{d asked for vegatarian food '- good choice, lots of fresh fruit and artichoke hearts. You could wake me up in the middle of the night for them, which is exactly what happened. Very surreal eating at 3 in the morning somewhere over the Atlantic. Saw lots of South America this morning. The Amazon? No idea, big river anyway. Bus from airport to the big bus station in town went first by bus and then I was ferried into a collectivo taxi with some others who were going into town, all for 45 Ar$ (about 12 euro). Traffic is terrifying. I{m glad I{m getting out of the city cause it is pretty hot and sticky. I{m hoping it{ll be cooler when I come back up at the end of March. Changed clothes in the luxurious loos at the airport so am now in sleeveless shirt and light loose trousers. Finally got a stamp in my passport! It{s all very well this borderless Europe but it does make for dull passports. Sorry this is a bit disjointed but I{m just trying to type as much as possible before my 2Ar$ runs out - lot cheaper than in Spain anyway. Keyboard still has some stuff in the wrong place so it{s not that I{m making typing mistakes, it{s just quicker not to have to look for where the commas are on this one. Ok, off to search for Yerba Mate (natural energy drink of Argentina) in the stalls which surround the bus terminal. Just had wondrous Te con Leche in a cafe inside (didn{t have Mate, was a wee bit dissappointed there). Tea here is better than in NL... Ok, off to see if I{ve any mail now.
Saludas amigos!
(It´s now Sunday evening in Ushuaia and I´m uploading photos but it seems to be taking an awful long time...ha, have found another way which works)