Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday evening in Ushuaia - 11pm








Pic 1 monument to a shipwreck.
Pic 2 & 3, fishing and waterfall
Pic 4 Thought from a distance that it was a dog kennel but it was a monument to someone who´d died there. (?¿) Pic 5 waterfall Pic 6 Some bird of prey who posed for ages while I got my camera out of my bag. Pic 7 End of rainbow, not very visible... pic 7 boats in harbour.

Just got back from a walk along the east side of the bay. Set out at 6, intending to turn back at 8 to get back before it was fully dark. But got distracted on the way back when I went into a huge shop - crossing between a Lidl, a Gamma and a Woolworths. All I wanted were tomatoes but ended up buying a padlock (which I need for the safebox in the hostel if I want to use it), a mate spoon/sieve/straw thingy (will explain in another blog sometime), a t-shirt and some courgette spread stuff. And tweezers in the separate chemist bit at the entrance. (Not pinzas as I´d thought from my dictionary but empiladers or something similar.) So when I came out it was almost dark. Got bitten by a dog on the way out. Only a scratch really, but with actual blood and a hole through both pairs of trousers. Put disinfectant gel and a plaster on it when I´d left the barking monsters behind (which I off course could produce in an instant from my hip bag - I am sUch a smug traveller ;-) I have to learn not to make friendly noises at barking roaming dogs. It´s my natural instinct to be nice to them, though I have been forcing myself not to pat any or encourage them in any way. These latino dogs apparantly don´t understand my ´Hello nice dog, how are you?.´ approach to them. They react much as Al Pacino did in whatever film it was where he goes: ´You talkin´to me!? Huh?! You talkin´to me?!´ You can almost see them slapping their wee macho paws on their puffed up chests as they go into barking frenzy mode. Till now all the dogs I´ve seen do this have been behind gates, but the group I passed this evening were obviously gaurding the road in front of their house and were none too happy at me walking past. The bravest took a nip at my calf before the old man who´d been watching their madness could call them back. I think if I´d run they would have made a proper party of it. As it was I´ve begun to understand those who are frightened of dogs. When I saw a few in the distance later I crossed the road to avoid the confrontation. More later - fish and mountains. (Sorry this is even more disjointed than usual but I´m uploading pictures in another window and I think this multi-tasking is getting too much for me...) Anyway walked as far as a river where people were fishing and ate my bread and cheese above a waterfall before turning back. Had a conversation with one of the fishers - my first Spanish communication which was not actually essential and which had nothing to do with buses, boats, beds or cuanta cuesta. Well... conversation?
´Hola.´ ´Hola.´
´¿Quel pez estan aqui?´
´Trucha.´
´¿Tambien lucio?´
´No, solo trucha´
´Ah, vale. Gracias.´
´De nada.´
´Adios.´ ´Adios.´
Ok, so I had to look up the words for trout and pike first as they´re about the only freshwater fish names I know, and he did mention some other fish but I´ve forgotton what that was now, but I was pleased I at least dared to talk to the big scary fisherman.
(Whilst I´ve been typing this I´ve successfully put some photos in earlier blogs, will add some explanation of them when I´m back at the hostel tomorrow and don´t have to pay for the computer time.)
More trivia. I seem to have lost my glasses. I wear my lenses most of the time but like to have my glasses to hand if I have to get up in the night or when in the bus for hours when I was sleeping and waking at odd times and didn´t want to fiddle with lenses. I suspect they´re in the hotel in Rio Gallegos as that´s the last place I remember having them. Have just put photos of today in yesterdays blog but never mind. Too tired to fiddle with it now.