Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ushuaia





Pic 1 is the place with the fishers I met after the dog biting incident. The rest are from the boat trip to the sealions.

Pronounced oo-shwA-ee-ah. Arrived in town about 10 minutes ago and thanks to my wonderful Trotter guide now have a bed in a hostel 2 streets back from the harbour. 50 pesos a night inclucing gratis internet. The exchange rate seems to have gone up cause yesterday I got more than 4 pesos to the euro so this is about 12 euro a night. Sitting on a tree trunk at a table made of a tree trunk at a computer made of a tree trunk. Nah, made the last bit up, but it´s pretty basic. I don´t care, when I was in the bus and it was getting dark I was worried all the hostels would be full. Room is full of chattering Spanish - one playing guitar. Bus was noticably less luxe than the first one. The roads in the south are really bad so they just use the crappy buses which already have burst windscreens. Now have lots of stamps in my passort as we had to cross into Chile and then a few hours later back into Argentina. Plenty of time to read today. Sat next to a pleasant Canadian snowboard instructor. Ideal travelling companion. We had a wee chat about where we´d been/were goingand how terrible Bush and Thatcher had been for the world and then more or less left each other in peace to read/write/do i-pod things (him). Occasionally pointed out llamas, emus, flamingos, gauchos with hundreds of sheep. Anyway, off to bed now I think. Didn´t sleep much last night because there were a lot of barking dogs. Put earplugs in then realised I wouldn´t hear the alarm. Then had the brilliant idea of using the trill function on my phone. Phone doesn´t work here anyway so may as well use it for this, then I won´t have brought it for nothing. Set the alarm and put it in my bra.
I must admit I was most impressed with myself for this idea! :-)
But by the time I´d thought of it there was only 4 hours till I had to get up to catch the bus. Walked to the busstation in a light rain and was glad I´d brought my Dryzabone hat with me at the last minute after all. With that and my rainjacket on back to front over my wee leather rucksackbag at the front it was enough to get me dry to the station.