Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Last day in Ushuaia












Just been walking along the harbour. A huge cruise ship is leaving for the Antarctic today. The other pic is of an old house on the waterfront. Going to drink mate later with Veronica, a woman I´ve exchanged a few messages with via Couchsurfing (google it if you don´t know what it is). I was a bit worried Ushuaia might be full and/or hideously expensive and had her as an emergency address if this should be so. Went to see the film Australia last night. The cinema was a lot more modern inside than you would have guessed from outside. The film was a huge pile-up of Hollywood clichés, one after another until the whole thing more or less collapsed under the weight of them. Beautifully filmed though - if you like shots of Australian landscape I´d recommend it. And there were a few good ´travellers´ quotes. Like when the wandering cow drover told how he didn´t own more than he could carry in his saddlebags: ´Some people collect possessions, but you can always lose them all. In the end all you are is your story.´ Anyway it was the only film available so we didn´t exactly have a choice.
Today´s internet learning moment was when I couldn´t find the Explorer logo and had to ask how to get online. So I now know what the Mozilla thingy looks like and that it works the same. I´ve also just had a proper look at some of my photos and must say that I´m impressed that such a simple camera gives such good quality. (Dank je wel Juul, voor het lenen!)
Later: Went for a walk round a craft fair in the haven this afternoon which was no doubt for the benefit of the departing cruise passengers. There was a woman with hand made silver stuff and I suddenly thought of asking her if she could put a wee safety chain on my charm bracelet as it´s been broken for years. Managed to make her understand what I meant after a few attempts and her face lit up and she went to work. When I asked what it would cost she just shook her head. She adjusted it twice to get it to the right length and was insistent that I pay nothing. I think she was making plenty money from the Antarctic passengers and was pleased to have something useful to do. The fact that I helped a rich American fasten a bracelet and choose a brooch while I was waiting probably helped too. I did buy a handmade notebook at the stall opposite her. I don´t think my Moleskine is going to have enough pages for this trip and this wee book with a cover made from an old Patagonian map cost less.