Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rio Gallegos part 2














Got a taxi straight from the airport to the bus station to see if I could get a bus today to Puerto Natales. ´Solo martes y sabado´. So I have to wait till Saturday. It´s not such a bad thing really. Went back to ´my´ hotel, where the owner greeted me like a long lost friend and when I asked her if I´d maybe left my glasses there last week she produced them too. Did my washing and then had a siesta to recover from the early start and all the airport stress. Have just been to the Museo de los Pioneros. Beautifully preserved little wooden house from the end of the 19th century. Have lots of photos but have left the cable for the camera in my other bag so will add them later. Tomorrow I´ll take the bus down to Cape Virgenes and finally see some live penguins, as the only ones I´ve seen up till now are the toy versions in all the souvenir shops and the 6 foot Disney type one that scares children in the main street as he hands out booklets with all the tourist attraction things in the town.
Photos were taken during the walk from the bus station to the hotel. Lots of colourful buildings cheering up the otherwise dusty and dilapidated streets here.

Day later - added some more pics taken when walking back to get the bus. Including the one of Eva Peron that I must have missed the other 3 times I walked that route...