Sunday, March 22, 2009

All That Glitters

is not glamour...






There was something indescribably tragic about the whole circus somehow. It was small and scruffy. The 3 bears in the cages at the entrance paced their rounds all day, whereas they only needed the tiniest bit of distraction to entertain them. I threw them a few bits of bread and they stopped and pawed and sniffed and chewed and were at least not just pathologically pacing any more.
(Off out now, more later.)
I don´t know if anyone else has seen the film ´When Night is Falling´. About, amongst other things a woman who has the wonderful line, ´I want to run away frOm the circus.´ The atmosphere of that film was definitely hovering over last night´s procedings. The ringmaster doubled (trebled?) as high flying stuntman/set change chef/father of the child trick cyclist. Behind the glitter on his face and clothes you could see the worry of it not being a full house, some things not going as planned, the general hassle of managing such an operation. He really looked more like an accountant who had accidentally found himself leading this strange fairytale life with real life problems forcing their way in on all sides. However I doubt if there are many accountants who could do what he did in the athletic rings. All the acrobatic things were really well done, and as for the magician, well, I just knOw that this was pure magic, there´s no way it could have been anything else!! (Remember this is Narnia, don´t argue with me...)
Hmm, just lost a whole bit of text about tigers here - think I´ll just quickly place the last photos and get out of here. The c@fe is on a busy corner with the doors open and there´s a truck outside pumping noxious fumes directly in here, I think I may be getting carbon monoxide poisoning...