Saturday, March 14, 2009

Berries and Books in Puerto Varas











I´m now in a different hostel as I´d walked into town this morning thinking I could get a bus to Bariloche in the afternoon but the next one is tomorrow morning so walked on to another hostel I´d seen recommended in a booklet I picked up in the harbour. (Ach, nice as the squeaky clean German hostel was, it was a bit boring really, and even the Weimeraner wasn´t as nice as Max was.) I´m now slightly sunburnt for the first time since being here as the weather turned out sunny after a grey start. Spent the day wandering about the town and then along the shore of the lake. View of a perfect snow-topped volcano. All very pretty but I can´t get as enthusiastic about it as I was about Ushuaia. It´s not as wild somehow. It feels like Switzerland, the End of the World feeling has gone up here in the northern regions of Patagonia. I could have gone horse-trekking or canoeing or something today but it was a bit too warm for me and I felt more like just lazing about and reading my book on the shore. Ate huge juicy fresh brambles at one point - the novelty of picking them in March is well worth coming to the other side of the world for. Actually I´m about a week too early - most of them were still red, next week they´ll be perfect. Fell asleep in the sun on the rocks for a while and my neck is a bit red - I had a cap on and had put sunblock on my face but must have missed a bit just above my t-shirt. This town is vEry German in appearance. All the architecture, the tidiness, the zebra crossings on the road. The drivers even use their indicators! I suspect Bariloche will be even more so.
(Later) These last 2 pics taken during a walk as the sun was just under. The runner is a young Irish guy who has a bed in my room surrounded by shoes. He´s a serious marathon runner (under 3 hours...). I met him when I was out and he said he wished he had his camera with him so I took a couple of photos to mail to him.