Monday, March 23, 2009

Last Patagonian Skies



Bus from Trelew was less luxe than some of the other buses I´ve been on here. I should have guessed when I was shown the seating plan to choose my seat and saw that there were 4 seats in a row instead of 3. Semi-cama obviously varies with which company you travel with. These seats didn´t go back so far as the ones on the way south either, which I would have happily spent a week in. And no blanket and cushion. Luckily I had 2 seats to spread out on, as one would have been very cramped. And my own blow up cushion and a scarf and jacket as blanket. The meals were different too. Instead of being brought food on trays at regular intervals like in a plane the bus stopped at a cafe at about 22.30 and we all had to get out and sit at tables inside. Choice of canneloni or spaghetti, bread, a cold drink and a choc ice was served up in super quick time by 2 very efficient women. All for 5 pesos (about 1.25 euros). So only half included in the bus ticket price this time I suspect. Then the next day we were just allowed 20 minutes at a bus station cafe. I had 2 wondrous salmon and cheese empanadas for 6 pesos. For some reason these pasty type things are much cheaper (and better) than any of the bread options on offer.