Sunday, March 8, 2009

Six Feet Under






Walked to the cemetery this morning. Lots of typical Catholic kitsch but also the grave of the unknown Indian. It apparantly brings luck to touch his foot so of course my first mission there was to find him.

This is a very dodgy German grave with missiles and eagles. The only thing missing is the swastikas...


Just when I thought I´d had enough Catholic kitsch for one day I came across an avenue with a lot of Scots names.



This place is truly a city of the dead. If you can´t afford a piece of detached real estate then you can always find a place in a flat. At first I thought that all the wee windows were places for ashes to be kept. But then I saw one that was empty and realised that there´s room for a full size coffin behind the window with flowers and photos. I should have realised of course that Catholics don´t do cremation.


There are also a lot of Croatians in Punta Arenas as lots of them landed here when escaping earlier European wars. About a third of the town in of Croatian descent. There are lots of wonderful name combinations here. Fernandez Campbell is obviously my favourite one up till now but Iglesias Milosovic is quite a stunner too.

Here you can see the space the coffin goes into in one of the multi-storey coffin parks...

This is more a semi-detached affair.


One of my first and still favourite Spanish words is Bomberos (firemen).