Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cycled to Lago Epuyen







Cholila is where the house which Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid built still stands.



This small burial place was rather less grand than the one in Punta Arenas



This was a collie with Sproet-like eyes (one blue, one brown) but no matter how I tried I couldn´t get him to look at the camera. Ah well, at least he didn´t bite me for trying.




Anita, deze is voor jou genomen.


Got overtaken by a gaucho and his dog.





And a very long way it was too... 41 k from here according to the map but then another 10 to get to the lake itself. (Though I think I cut a bit off on the way back by taking a shortcut up a gravel path for 3 k. ) Lots of hills, lorries thundering past very close - it's all very different from cycling on safe paths at home. Saw my first dead dog... I¨ve been worrying about one getting mown down in my sight since being here, the way they all mill about and have frequent car chasing sessions. However this one was already very dead. Anyway, Lago Epuyen is Argentina´s answer to Loch Ness. Though less publicised, a Monster Has Been Seen there. She wasn´t there today though. Just as well, I had enough to cope with with the epic cycling stuff. Collapsed in the hammock in the garden when I finally got back. Have booked a bus toTrelew for tomorrow night. Decided to give Esquel a miss since I´ve now seen The Lake and the town itself is apparantly not up to much. I may want to spend a few days in the Welsh villages and I have to think about getting to Buenos Aires in time to have a day (or 2) in Colonia, in Uraguay. Off now as puter time is rationed here. Maybe photos tomorrow.