Monday, March 2, 2009

Hostel Magallenia





































Must post some pics later of this place. It´s gloriously messy, which I don´t mind in the least, though I could do without John Lennon staring at me from the wall opposite my bed. But the beds are clean with sheets, a blanket and a big fluffy eiderdown on top. The first night I slept like a log, the bed was the most comfortable ever, but last night woke up thinking I was in a sauna. For some reason here they tend to have the heating up at full blast all the time here. I´d managed to turn it down the night before when I´d gone up to my bunk and had almost fainted from the heat at the top of the room. But someone must have turned it up after I´d went to bed last night. I had to get out and deal with it at 2.30 - it´s ongoing war for control of the heating between me and the girl in the bed underneath. The daftest thing is that everyone here is preparing for camping trips where they´re going to be sleeping in unheated tents in sleeping bags so why they think it necessary to have sauna temperatures and ultra warm bed covers while they´re in town is beyond me.

The one good thing about the heating obsession is the fact that there are wonderful woodburning stoves to be seen everywhere. The one in the living room of the hostel swallows huge chunks of wood and has a large glass front to reveal it´s flames and in the kitchen there´s an ancient Aga-type stove. Out the back there´s a huge ´barbecue´ which also works on big bits of wood. The first night the owner was roasting some huge chunk of animal on it and I could just get my 5 wee sausages on beside it. There´s also a resident Springer Spaniel called Jack.