Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Museo Ornotologico Patagonico











Went there this morning as I passed it on the way into town and was curious to know what the very exotic looking bird is with a curly beak which I see a lot here. I now know that it´s a sort of Ibis (Theristicus Melanopis). There was a whole herd of them wandering about the garden last night when I was recovering from my bike trip in the hammock. The museum was very shut up and dusty looking when I arrived, despite it being almost 11 and the opening hours saying 10 to 8 in the evening. I rang the bell but no-one came so I sat in the garden and ate a banana and after a while a man arrived in a car with a lot of wood to unload. He was delighted that I wanted to visit his museum and let me in. However unlike in the Scary Stuffed Things museum in Puerto Natales, this man stayed to ´show me around´ his collection. Which he had stuffed personally so obviously he wasn´t going to let just anyone nose about in it without his supervision. My Spanish ornithological vocabulary is severely limited but somehow we had a conversation about the profusion of hunting birds here and which water birds are also found in Europe. I forgot to take photos in the confusion of having a personal guide, but I have a few of the live version of the ibis in the previous blog.
The tree carving is in a park in the middle of town. I think I´ll go and see what else I can find in town now as I still have some hours before the next bus. Or I may just lie in the park and read Darwin and watch the passers by.