Saturday, March 7, 2009

Punta Arenas


Music school.

Horse who's rider has gone and got the bus (see last pic of this blog)


This is the statue in the main square in town. It brings good luck to touch the foot of the Indian. (Bit of a foot fetishist town, see also 6 Feet Under blog...)


This is the view from the top of the town.







Complete with hot and cold penguins at the cafe, which was unfortunately closed by the time I got there.


3 hour bus trip here. Had too warm clothes on for the overheated bus as I´m hoping to go on a penguin trip this afternoon and it will be windy. First hostel I went to was full but I think I´m actually glad as it was in a bit of a dodgy area with 2 stripclubs up the road, the first I´ve seen since being here. I´m now nearer the centre of town and having a quick cup of mate before I go out to find me a bus to the penguins. There is internet in the living room and a very noisy war film on the tv above my head. The town itself actually looks quite prosperous when driving in. Compared to other towns I´ve seen so far it´s greener and in better repair with wide avenues. Almost suburban looking. Mind you, there are enough scruffy bits too, it´s all relative.

Lots of wall murals in the town. This was the first one I saw.
Old till in an old chemist shop, much like the one on the Neude in Utrecht.

Lots of working boats coming in to the harbour. May have time to walk there tomorrow.

This is a gaucho type (with unpictoresque shopping) waiting for the bus.

(Technical note - have just worked out how to cut and paste with this wild Patagonian mouse - I have to use the left button and hang on to it, instead of the right one as at home.)