Sunday, March 8, 2009

Leaving Punta Arenas - back to Puerto Natales

Have just spent a few hours updating blog and photos. Glad of the sit down and coffee after the trek around the cemetery this morning. Getting the bus back to PN in about an hour. Tomorrow the Navimag boat should be in the port and ready for boarding, setting off on Tuesday morning. We should be making a stop in Puerto Eden at some point, a tiny town on the coast (well, obviously...) which can only be reached by sea. Well, I think that´s the idea, the information so far has been a bit vague. Had a look at the map this morning and have realised that when I get off at Puerto Montt on Friday I´ll only have 2 more weeks before my flight back. And it´s a bit further north than I´d thought so I won´t be getting the bus back down to El Calefate and the glacier Perito Moreno. I´d rather spend the time slowly going east again (possibly partly by horse if at all possible) to the Welsh villages before heading up to Buenos Aires instead of racing up and down the country. Anyway, according to the guides on Glacier Grey, Perito Moreno is way overrated... (not sure how much of this is true and how much is the ever present Chile/Argentina competition but I don´t really care, ´my ´ glacier was quite wonderful enough. Ach, and if I want to see it, and the Cave of Hands, which is another ´must´ of Patagonia, well, I´ll just have to come back in a few years then... I´d always assumed this would be a ´once only´ trip across the Atlantic, but I´m starting to feel now that I´m going to have to improve my Spanish and come back again. Bruce Chatwin spent months here after all.

Anyway, not sure how tomorrow will go, how early I can go aboard the ship and what the internet facilities there will be. So I may be offline till the end of the week. But then again I may not. Que sera sera. ¿Hasta maƱana?