Friday, March 13, 2009

Back on dry land







Well, had another teary 'end of things´ moment on the ship this afternoon as we were drawing into Puerto Montt after 3 days at sea. Or it might of course have been partly that Meryl Streep acts as a natural depressant... (the film House of the Spirits had just ended). It was just a really nice peaceful interlude and suddenly the thought of getting back out into the hassle of organising buses and beds was all too much for me and I spent 10 minutes sobbing over the back of the boat while most people were up the front being enthusiastic. I hate goodbyes too and in my brief collapse found the thought of never seeing the charming Canadian trio again tragic beyond belief. (I can be sUch a drama queen at times...) However, a good weep is no doubt necessary now and then and I soon got over myself and got my stuff together and did the goodbye stuff and set off for the bus station. Dithered there for a circuit of all the booths looking in vain for the one which would take me to Puerto Varas (20 minutes up the road on a lake and apparantly a pleasanter place to stay than the larger Puerto Montt). Realised that I was going to have to ask someone and was soon directed out the back to the left to the minibuses and procured a place in the most spectacularly grubby bus, driven by Barry Hayes double. But now I still haven't told anything about the cruise and I'm already blogging back on dry land... I'll start another cruise blog, later with photos.